Friday, June 1, 2012

And The Sauce Is....


I guess you will just have to read this and find out!  Don't worry I will not keep you in suspense for too long, and if you really want to know you can skip reading and scroll to the recipe~

I have to give props to my Facebook friends for all of their comments on the photo of this secret dish I posted to my wall.  The responses ranged from baby vomit, which of course came from my son, to the very off the cuff but unique "Cheez Whiz".  The cheese comment, by the way, came from a guy who I must say is a "Whiz" in the kitchen, and can cook for me anytime as long as his wife lets him! 

Now most people know I am really trying to stick to my new vegetarian lifestyle and they stayed safe with their guesses selecting a certain vegetable or fruit, but none was a safe as the one post that said pureed vegetables.  As much as I wanted to give her the win, because it was a pureed vegetable, I did not think it fair to others who were more specific in their selection!

I have to give a special thanks to the ladies at work for not giving away the secret!  I am glad you liked it, and hope there are more lunches to be shared!

This dish was selected by my husband because it requires very little prep work or the use of a culinary knife! He is so desperate to get out of the kitchen and get me in there that he picked a dish with a main ingredient he hates! I really do need to learn how to cut vegetables in a neater timelier fashion; if I don’t what is the worst that can happen…I don’t have to do all the cooking!

Anyone who loves pasta will enjoy this dish, and it is a good way to get your kids to eat vegetables they may normally be “allergic” too!  There is a recommendation for sides, but for my family this was a very filling dish and all we needed was some garlic bread. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!

Another shout out to  http://www.vegetariantimes.com/  for providing this great meal!

Ravioli with Sweet Potato Sauce

4 Servings
30 minutes or fewer

This mellow sauce should be served over hearty pasta combines comfort and elegance in one easy meal. Serve with some steamed broccoli florets, baby carrots and red and green bell pepper strips. Round out the meal with slices of fresh Italian bread.

 1 large sweet potato (about 8 oz.)

16-oz. pkg. frozen vegetable-filled ravioli or tortellini

1 Tbs. butter or soy margarine

2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup low-fat milk or soy milk or as needed

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 cup frozen green petite peas, thawed

Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

Pierce several holes in skin of sweet potato with a fork. Microwave sweet potato on high power about 8 minutes or until tender. Plunge potato into a bowl of cold water (or, if you microwaved an extra sweet potato from the previous night’s dinner, simply use it as is).
Meanwhile, cook frozen pasta in a large pot of rapidly boiling water according to package directions. Drain well and return to the pot.
In small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Peel sweet potato and mash it well in a medium bowl. Stir in garlic and enough milk to achieve the consistency of a thick sauce. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Add sauce to cooked pasta in the pot. Stir in green peas and heat through. Garnish with parsley and serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment