Wednesday, May 30, 2012

From Nightmare to Heaven


Trying to be a vegetarian after growing up with meat on my plate every night has proven to be a challenge.  Don't get me wrong I love researching foods that will give my family a balanced diet, and keep some variety going in the meals so the boys stay interested.  I have learned a great deal about how food can change our lives and our health. 

Daniel 1:3-16 

Daniel and his friends refuse to eat from the king's table which has meat on it, but eat vegetables instead.  After ten days they are found to be healthier than those who eat at the king's table.

Nightmares in my kitchen can pop up in a variety of ways.  Just like when you wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat that is how it happens in my kitchen!  I can cook any kind of meat with my eyes closed but handling vegetable yikes!  Not to mention what we think should be standard kitchen items if you are a carnivore are definitely not the same if you do not eat meat.  This leads to I NEVER have what I need for my new recipes in my kitchen!

Shopping can be difficult, but I am learning what I can use multiple times and what needs to be fresh.  My current shopping horror is the lack of availability where we live.  I am sure this will change in a few months when we move though, so I am not giving up based on that.  Whole Foods here I come!  Today’s recipe for instance went from fresh spinach leaves to a frozen bag of brussel sprouts!  I am sure that substitution has you laughing to tears!  Don’t worry I do get the last laugh on this, because it was delicious!

We all know that multiple dreams occur during the course of one night’s sleep, so on to Nightmare in My Kitchen 2.  Almost reminds me of a bad horror movie sequel…. I can’t handle a knife!!!  How am I supposed to be a good faithful vegetarian if I can’t chop, dice, slice, and julienne??!!  I certainly can’t be the star of my own nightmare!  That is where my husband comes in to the scene.  He is great in the kitchen, but alas does he really enjoy it?  Let’s see; teach Lisa how to do it, or just save us all the grief and do it myself?  CUT THE VEGETABLES STEVEN!!


Nope!  He was determined to teach me how to separate the poor sprouts while my beautiful onions and sun-dried tomatoes were burning in the pan instead of sautéing.  CUT THE VEGETABLES STEVEN!!  Maybe that should be my new catch-phrase!

Here is tonight’s delight enjoy!  I have to acknowledge that I took this recipe from Vegetarian Times http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/natale-stuffed-portobellos/

But of course I had to revise!

Natale Stuffed Portobello (Revised!)

Mushrooms

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar

2 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

4 large Portobello mushroom caps (Used 6 medium)



Filling

2 Tbs. breadcrumbs (used panko crumbs)

1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil

¼ cup chopped onion

8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced

2 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

½ cup soy milk

10 oz. fresh spinach leaves (8 cups)  (used 14oz bag of frozen brussel sprouts)

¼ cup grated Asiago cheese (Used a bag of blended Italian cheeses)

4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped (Used a bag of blended Italian cheeses)

Followed Step one for mushrooms as mentioned in recipe.  The filling I had to go with God’s Grace!

1. To make Mushrooms: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic in bowl. Brush mushroom caps with oil mixture, and place on baking sheet. Roast 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate.

2. To make Filling:  Cook sprouts in covered dish in microwave for 8 minutes with 2 Tbs of water.  Remove and cut off ends loosening leaves.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add chopped onions and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Add sun-dried tomatoes and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in cream, and cook 2 minutes. Add sprouts, and cheese cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.  Spoon Filling into mushroom caps, serve.

Proverbs 15:17

New International Version (NIV)
Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment